Friday, December 9, 2011

I want to fit safety Air Bags to a Mk1 MR2, a car that never had them as standard, can anyone help?

I realise this is a difficult task and I am aware that messing with these things is dangerous. Rather than just not trying I am hoping to actually succeed in fitting safe, absolutely trustworthy airbags in my car. I realise that one absolutely correct answer is unlikely so if people could just share there knowledge and point me towards all of the issues relating to this important issue I would be so grateful. Again, I'm not looking to ignorantly and blindly mess with complex safety equipment, I want something that will actually work when called upon.|||I would guess that your best bet would be to find a Mk2 MR2 with a complete airbag system and get that. Study how it was installed and do your best to copy that in your car. This would have a good chance of at least the steering wheel being a direct fit.





Would it maybe be possible to install the full Mk2 dashboard with passenger airbag into a Mk1??





When you install the SRS (Supplemental Restrain System) control unit (ECM/brain) make sure that it is pointed in the same direction as it was in the original car. These are directional so that they only go off in the event of a sudden deceleration accident. (They don't go off when rear-ended or when hit in the side, so only one direction is "active.")





Good luck with it! It sounds like a major undertaking.





Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this? Wouldn't it be easier and possibly even cheaper, and certainly safer to just buy a Mk2 MR2?? (You can respond by putting additional info on your question. Thanks!)|||Fantastic answer, a lot to act on. The answer is definatly in the MK2 allthough it's a different car.

Report Abuse


|||I know there was a company which made universal-fit driver's airbag steering wheels, complete with sensors, which could be fitted to most cars, but I think it's outside the realms of a diy-er to engineer %26amp; fit passenger or side bags to a car. How would you fit a passenger bag into the dash, since it has to be able to burst through the dash? I'm pretty sure you couldn't just cut a hole in it. Also you'd need the sensor equipment fitted in an appropriate place. Another thing...please be aware that airbags are explosive devices so handle with care!!


It's an interesting question, I'll check back for any more nuggets of wisdom from others later.

No comments:

Post a Comment