Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Has a safety car ever skidded off the track in an F1 race?

If it has, when and where was it?|||Yes sort of


The Malaysian Grand Prix 2009


The race had been red flagged, the Safety Car went out and did a safety check and promptly skidded and did a nice pirouette.|||I believe the answer to that is no, but not 100% confident. I have been watching F1 since 1993 safety car was introduced I believe in 1994, hence when Senna died at Imola 3 races into season it was a new thing to cycle behind safety car. So since I have been watching, the safety car has not skidded off track.


What I am not certain of is if safety car was around previous to 94 and then regulations changed to stop using it, thus making 1994 introduction of safety car actually bringing back old rule, that is what I am not sure about.


Out of interest though, David Coulthard in I think 1995 had pole position, but went off the track and crashed out on the warm up lap behind pace car, although I then cheered for Williams, I found that a bit funny. I think that race was Hockenheim, but could be Monza.|||I'm quite sure not in F1, Nick Heidfield did indeed crash into a medical car during the 2002 F1 season http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaA-DQ0Yd鈥?/a>


Hows about this one though, Alexander Wurz (former F1 driver 1997- 2000 seasons and in 2007 with Williams) crashed after not letting the safety car have enough braking room in a F3 race at Pau in 1995, see vid, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8lutheie鈥?/a>|||the sls skidded of the track during practice at korea (but i assume that is why you are asking this question)


Nick Heidfeld has taken the door off a medical car before, but i'm pretty sure that wasn't in the race either.|||I think none during a safety car period. It would be the most embarrasing moment of all if the safety car skids off track or spins in front of the F1 cars. Much funnier if he crashes!... :D|||I can't see why you would be interested this. It has more than likely occurred but so what, things happen in racing.|||No.

No comments:

Post a Comment